EMAIL

For questions or comments you don't want left on this blog please email me. Put TinCanCooking in subject area.

Copy and paste in your own web email box.
rwngwacko2@aol.com

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tamale Pie

This recipe is in memory of my Nana. We had Thanksgiving Dinner at her house most of the time. She would cook a giant turkey in a roster oven she put on top of the wash machine in the laundry room. After that dinner came a lot of turkey type dinners. One being Tamale Pie.
Each time I make this dish I think of my Nana.

Tamale Pie 4 servings

Saute 1/4 diced onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil for a couple minutes. Add 1/2 bell pepper and one minced garlic clove. Cook for a couple more minutes.
Add a small can of diced tomatoes, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 C of kernel corn (I use Trader Joe's roasted frozen kernel corn), diced cooked turkey (as much as you like), 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 can of whole olives. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook or 15 minutes until flavors combine.


In small pot add 1 cup water, 3/4 cup corn meal, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Cook and stir until thick. Add 1 tablespoon butter.

Divide cornmeal. Add half to the meat mixture and combine.
Spray an 8x8 cooking dish with vegetable spray (I use olive oil spray) and add meat mixture.
Top with the remaining cornmeal and spread it over the top in a crust type layer.

Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes with foil on top. Take foil off and cook for 10 more minutes.

Sorry I keep forgetting to take pics. I think you get the gist.

No comments:

Post a Comment